Council applauded for 2 dances

It has been four years since GHS has had a Homecoming dance, replacing it with a Winter Formal last year. This year, the Student Council decided to bring it back while also keeping the Winter Formal as well.

Homecoming is a tradition for many schools that students look forward to each year that includes spirit days, a parade, a football game and, most importantly, a dance. However, with COVID striking, GHS made the decision to ditch the dance. I think that the decision to bring the Homecoming Dance back is smarter than just having a Winter Formal.

While the Winter Formal is also fun and exciting, the Homecoming Dance is better for the school and students because it invokes more school spirit and gets kids excited about the school sports and events at the beginning of the school year. Homecoming is supposed to be a big deal among high school students, so the dance is much more anticipated. I also think more people will go to and actively participate

With that being said, I still think that the Winter Formal is a great idea, too. It takes place in the middle of the school year, which gives students another way to stay involved during a cold, depressing winter.

While I think the Homecoming dance is more important than the Winter Formal, I ultimately think choosing to keep both is a good decision that will benefit the school and the students.