The Student News Site of Greenwood Community High School

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Timberlines Online

Not Just a Number

Jersey numbers are one of the best ways for athletes to express themselves. For some, their numbers have big meanings behind them.

Some athletes wear numbers based on family members they are close to. Sophomore Guner Ruppert wears 13 on his football jersey in honor of his older brother who played football for GHS.

“My brother Gavin wore 13 in high school for me because my birthday is on Dec. 13. We have a great relationship, and I really look up to him, so when he graduated, I wanted to wear 13 to continue the legacy he left here,” Ruppert said.

Other players wear numbers in honor of their favorite professional athletes. Senior Charlee Mayo, basketball player, wears 4 for former Pacers player Victor Oladipo.

“I met Victor when he first came to Indiana to play for the Pacers, and the day after I met him, he gave me his shoes for my birthday. Ever since then, we just bonded really well. I met him in middle school, so once I started playing basketball in middle school, I wore 4 because Vic has always been an inspiration for me because of his work ethic and his drive to get better every day. It’s also a popular number in my family because both of my older sisters also wore it for basketball,” Mayo said.

Other athletes wear their numbers as symbols. Senior Alan Burnett, football player with the jersey No. 48, wants to send a positive message.

“I wear number 48 because to me it stands for ‘love everyone.’ Love has four letters in it, and everyone has eight, so I wear it for that. It’s a reminder to me to be kind, and I hope it can be a message for other people to do the same,” Burnett said.

Another inspiration for jersey numbers can be past teammates. Senior Maggie Boyce, volleyball player, wears No. 1 to remember her friend who graduated.

“I wear 1 because of Jenna Armstrong, who graduated in 2022. She’s the reason I am the person I am today, and she wore that number for all four years of high school. My first two years of high school and volleyball were so much easier because of the kindness, friendship, faith, and support she showed me. Wearing that number reminds me of her and grounds me in the sport,” Boyce said.