Too much hype for Buffaloes

Deion Sanders has turned Colorado into a hotspot for incoming prospects and is looking toward a winning season, but the hype around the team might be too much.

One of the hottest names in sports right now is former NFL cornerback Deion Sanders, who has taken over as the head coach of the Colorado Buffaloes. Sanders has brought a lot to Colorado’s locker room, including a newfound mentality, an overload of media attention, and dozens of recruits looking for a chance to play for one of the best to ever do it. Some of these players include two-way star Travis Hunter and Deion’s own sons Shilo and Shadeur.

This team understandably has a ton of hype. Bringing in someone like Sanders to coach a team after a 1-8 finish to the season last year is bound to bring some attention. However, we have never seen a team with this much publicity that is so unproven. Sure, they had a 3-0 start to the season, which is a step in the right direction. But, after three close wins throughout the first three weeks, they went out and disrespected Oregon by stomping on their logo just to get blown out 42-6. A team like this should not be getting the positive attention that they are getting.

Sanders has put the right mentality into these kids, and they are definitely turning the culture around there, but the media needs to stop acting like they are a super team. They are not even close to competing for the college football playoff, so why not focus the attention on some teams that really are? Oklahoma is ranked No. 6 after finishing the season unranked last year. Oregon has jumped up seven rankings since last year and is currently ranked No. 8. These schools have not received near the amount of attention as Colorado, who is not even ranked.

I do think that the Buffaloes are a good team, but they are not great yet. Once they prove themselves against a real contender, I might change my mind. But in the meantime, they are still an above average level team with national championship level hype.