Winter sports preview

Logan Connor, Feature Editor

Boys Basketball (video = https://youtu.be/SNvaGRpPl-E)

Woodmen basketball has worked this offseason with a bad taste in their mouths after a disappointing 2021-22 campaign. A 9-14 (2-6 Mid-State) record last season and an opening round Sectional loss vs Franklin Central that highlighted what would be a down year for the Woodmen basketball program. 

Since Coach Bradburn has arrived in Greenwood, he has earned a 54-40 record and a Sectional championship in 2020 against Center Grove. Since that championship win, the program has been in a rebuilding phase.

“We have been sort of down since the COVID year,” Carter Campbell, senior forward said. “That was my freshman year, and since then, we haven’t been very old with not a lot of seniors. This year, though, is definitely looking different with a few seniors and a lot of the juniors are extremely talented.”

Highlighting the talented junior class is 6’2 guard Jake Mosemann. Mosemann was a three-point specialist for the Woodmen last year who had a season high six three-pointers against Indian Creek. Mosemann started as a sophomore during the 2021-22 season and was also part of the varsity squad for parts of his freshman season. 

“I feel like I definitely need to be a leader on the team,” Mosemann said. “I have been around for three years and got to experience some pretty cool stuff and a good Sectional run just like Carter got to his freshman season. I’m really excited for this season because we worked extremely hard during the summer.” 

This summer and early winter has been a busy one for the team. From playing scrimmages at Purdue University to early 6 a.m. conditioning practices, the long workouts have brought the squad together. 

“We came together through the summer practices because of how long we were together. We practice for a few hours, lift, go to conditioning and then go get food afterwards,” Mosemann said. “We all hangout outside of basketball, and that is something that has always helped our morale overall.” 

A focal point for most of the other players has been improving their athleticism. Shooting has always been a skill for Mosemann and others, but improving their verticals and speed up and down the court has made their game more multidimensional.

“Jake is an extremely naturally talented athlete,” Strength Coach Jerrod Watson said. “Jake is exactly the kind of athlete we want here at GHS. He is a process-over-outcome athlete and does everything the right way. He never misses workouts, always gives it his all and does everything I have ever asked him to do.”

The Woodmen look to redeem last year’s season opener loss at Center Grove next Wednesday night.

Girls Basketball (video = https://youtu.be/APtO0DENMdw)

After a highly competitive and improved 2021-22 season, the Lady Woodmen basketball team is looking to improve upon their winning season and build even stronger this year. 

The biggest focus for the Lady Woodmen has been their defense and better conditioning in order to stay competitive later in games.

“We’ve been focusing mainly on defense,” sophomore Emma Gardner said. “We worked a lot on our conditioning and preparing ourselves for all the teams on our schedule who play tough basketball.”

Every offseason looms with the challenges and expectations, especially after a successful season the previous year. The girls feel this pressure, but have learned to use it to fuel themselves.

“The biggest challenge this offseason and even into the season has been living up to expectations,” Gardner said. “We feel like we have to live up and over last year because we were so successful. We just turn that into fuel to perform better and improve our game even more.”

Defensive prowess has been a focal point for both girls and boys Woodmen basketball for decades. This team has no differences from past squads. 

“The biggest goal this year is to obviously have a winning record, and everyone wants to win championships,” Gardner said. “We really just want to perfect our defense and create offense off of our defense.”

The Lady Woodmen will open up Mid-State conference play next Tuesday night vs Plainfield.

Wrestling (video: https://youtu.be/LRnWXbrG0fQ)

Woodmen wrestling’s 2021-22 season was one full of emerging young stars and some veteran leadership. With the loss of those veteran leaders, the young stars must step up. 

One of these young stars is sophomore Jordan Jewell who led the team last year in overall record and other categories, including falls and points scored.

“I feel some pressure having to follow up last year,” Jewell said. “I felt like I had a successful freshman year, and I just want to keep improving upon that.”

Unlike other sports, wrestling does not have the team aspect of being able to rely on your teammates when needed. When on the mat, it is mono e mono.

“I really have been working on my referee’s position,” Jewell said. “I can score a lot of points from there, and in wrestling, every single point matters. I have been working on finding my own style on my feet and the shots and shot creation.”

One match is circled on Jewell’s calendar at home. It is not necessarily for any reason of wrestling against Lutheran but because it is his birthday.

“I am very excited for the Lutheran match. I’m really looking forward to it because it is my birthday and my best gift for myself would be a win. It’ll be a fun night with my family on the team and parents in the stands watching me,” he said.

Woodmen wrestling will have their second meet of the season at the Jennings County Invite tomorrow.

Swim/Dive (girls swim video = https://youtu.be/1JJyaOhlmlA) (girls swim video = https://youtu.be/gUrFEujBWWk)

For the last few decades, Woodmen swimming and diving has been one of the most consistently successful teams at GHS. With all of this success, there is a sort of pressure to win and work hard just as their predecessors have.

In order to achieve this success, the offseason must be taken seriously, and every athlete’s training differs.

“It really differs from person to person with what they need to work on,” junior Jackson Simms said. “Some go to club practice to perfect form and swimming things, others go to workouts with Coach Watson to get stronger and improve their mobility.”

Before the season starts, many swimmers set goals for themselves. 

“My biggest goal is to PR in the 50 free which is my main event,” Simms said. “My focal point has been the free, and I have worked on sprint races which I prefer much more over distance.”

With the loss of many strong senior swimmers the past couple of years, the younger generation has resumed the role and stepped up into those leadership positions.

“I think the biggest challenge is having to step up into a bigger leadership role,” Simms said. “We lost a lot of many strong leaders that were positive influences and were good swimmers as well.” 

Woodmen swimming and diving opened their season last night against Roncalli at home.