Lady Woodmen track & field is making big strides

Makena Cruse, entertainment editor

From the pole vault pit to the track to the shot put ring, the Lady Woodmen have made enormous strides this season.

Junior Amy Luttrell made it to the track and field State championship last year, but she has not finished her work in the pole vault yet. Luttrell cleared 11’ to claim 12th at the State meet, but the Junior plans to soar even higher this year.

“My favorite memory from this season was clearing 12’. It was the first time I had PR’d in almost a year, so it was a long time coming, and it just felt really good. I also had some friends there supporting me, and they were so happy for me, it was just really fun,” Luttrell said.

https://youtu.be/YJ0gBgoqACw

Sophomore Emma Gardner had a dynamic debut her freshman year, qualifying for State in the discus. Gardner has since improved and is beginning to make a name for herself in the shot put ring as well.

“I feel like I have grown a lot as a shot put thrower because that was one of my biggest goals in the off season. Discus was my better event last year so I wanted to even them out. I think right now my favorite event is shot put, but it usually switches between shot put and discus,” Gardner said.

Freshman Lillian Rollings has made her name known in the world of long distance. The long distance specialist came into her freshman track season after an impressive 31st place finish at the Semi-State cross country meet. Rollings has since proven she can run well not only on the cross country course but also on the track.

“I really have enjoyed running the 3200 this year because it is a great race to be able to compete hard in and there are many other very good runners from other schools we run against that have made some good competition,” Rollings said.

Through injury and trials, junior Danielle Suiters has managed to hurdle every obstacle she’s come across.

“This season I have grown mentally and physically and am continuously getting faster. I placed at county this year which was a big goal of mine for a long time and to be able to achieve it was a great feeling,” Suiters said.