Fieldhouse simulator offers all-season play

Just off of US 31, sits the Greenwood Fieldhouse in Greenwood’s $83 million Madison Project. 

Last May, the grand opening took place. The fieldhouse is home to indoor turf fields and basketball courts for pick-up games and practices. Uniquely, in the back of the fieldhouse, there are three indoor golf simulators. These simulators are friendly to people of all ages, from real golf courses all the way to putt putt for smaller children.

Despite there being significantly fewer simulators than bays at a traditional driving range, athletes can get an even better bang for their buck. At the nearest driving range, Otte Family and Fun Center, it is $20 for 200 balls. At the Fieldhouse, it is $25 per hour, and it even tracks many advanced stats, like carry distance, ball speed, and launch angle. 

The simulator is much more versatile than just a driving range. On the simulator, golfers can choose any course in the world, including PGA Championship courses like Augusta National and TPC Sawgrass.

We found hitting shots with our drivers and irons to be easier, but it is significantly harder to chip and putt without the depth perception we get from visualizing a real course. One thing that helped out was when the staff member turned on a setting that showed the break of the green.

The staffer who helped us was friendly and got everything set up for us. He made sure to check on us every once in a while to see how we were doing. There was even a slight malfunction with the technology where the tracker was not tracking our shots, and he sorted that out.

Earlier this year, the Fieldhouse had an event for a two-man scramble playing PGA course Pebble Beach. Brady and his dad played the event and had a lot of fun then, too. Anyone in the city could sign up, and there was a pretty big reward for whoever came out on top.

This is an awesome alternative to traditional outdoor golf in colder weather. It is fun and definitely something different to try. We are looking forward to coming back to play more courses around the world.